Re: E-28 Automatic transmission ?

Unfortunately, there are times when there is no warning whatsoever.  A very
highly regarded local shop here in Indy sends us all his AT transmission rebuilds
and services because he has had so many customers come in for oil changes and has
not been able to drive the car back out of the shop!  When they make ANY kind of
noise or exhibit any slipping, you are already on borrowed time ;)  However, a
well serviced tranny (tranny service every 30k at least) has been known to go for
400k miles.... YMMV ;)

Mg299kkps@domain.elided wrote:

> I am looking at a 1988 535i with 150k on the original automatic transmission.
> I have read that these transmissions are on there death beds by around 125k.
> Question, What should I be looking for when I go for a drive? Feel, sounds,
> etc.
> Thanks
>
> Allen

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com