Re: ...and More on Tickets

>1.  Never be the fastest vehicle on the road.  If you're driving too fast,
but
>one or more other drivers are driving EVEN FASTER, they'll generally get
>the attention.

If I'm speeding, I'm always MORE than happy to pull over and let someone
else pass me for exactly this reason. >:)

>2.  Radar detector.  In CA, there aren't that many stretches of freeway
>where the CHP is authorized to use radar, but they often use it on other,
>non-freeway roads.  And, they sometimes drive around with the unit on,
>even if they aren't using it for enforcement.  So a radar detector can
>warn you of the presence of an officer, who might be using other means
>to determine your speed, like sneaking up behind and clocking you.

Some excellent detectors (like the Whistler that Chris is lending me
(thanks!!!)) can even pick up a unit that is in standby mode - it's on, but
not actively scanning for speed.  All electronic devices emit some sort of
RF, and the top-of-the-line detectors can pick it up.  This is the same
principle that "radar detector detectors" operate on - they pick up the
radio emissions from the detector itself.

>Other things that attract the attention of law enforcement are weaving in
>and out of traffic and unsafe lane changes.  If you're speeding a bit but
>otherwise driving in a safe manner, and if there is an "accident looking
>for a place to happen" nearby, they will get the attention.

Excellent point - at times I may drive fast, but never unsafe, and that
includes weaving in and out of traffic.  I already posted my thoughts on
weaving, but to summarize, you're usually better off just sitting in the
fastest lane anyway - you lose more time trying to weave than by staying
where you are.

    - Justin