e30 Rear Brake question

A few weeks ago there was alot of discussion about the large nut on the rear hub which
must be removed to get at the backing plates on the rear brakes.  I ignored it because I
"knew" I'd never need to work on the brakes on my car!

I now need to figure out how to replace these backing plates.  My daughter's '84 e30 has
a rusted out backing plate which allowed the parking brake shoe to contact the disk/drum
causing a great deal of noise and wear.  What size is this nut?  Any tips on removing it
or the backing plate that I should know about?

TIA,

Tom Clark,  CCIE #3266
Systems Engineer                                        ||        ||
311 3rd Ave SE, Suite 225                               ||        ||
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401                               ||||      ||||
Direct:     (319)399-5182                          ..:||||||:...:||||||:..
Cellular:   (319)350-3652                          c i s c o S y s t e m s
Pager:      (800)365-4578
E-mail:      toclark@domain.elided