Re: <wob> Driver maturing

Ahhhhhh, something on the digest I can finally respond to!  I apologize in
advance for the long response.

Yes, I too had a high-speed experience with the police.  I was 17 going on 13.
I had just left my girlfriends' house after picking up my stereo and
miscellaneous other items I had left there.  Why was I picking up my stuff?
'Cause that's the customary thing to do after your girlfriend dumps you for
some stud she met at her new high school that she met while you were on
vacation being faithful even though there was this really good looking girl
flirting with you...Aaaaaaanyway, I was feeling pretty macho after telling her
a thing or two (If you ask her she'll probably tell you I was crying like a
baby, but don't listen to her).  I was driving south on I-25 through Colorado
Springs with a friend of mine from my high school football team.  We were
driving another friends' '72 Mercury Marquis.  Man, what a boat!  I looked
down at the speedometer as it reached 120.  I told my friend Tommy "Watch out
for cop cars, Tommy."  As I finished the sentence Tommy pointed to the North
bound lane and said something like "you mean like that one?"  I watched in my
rearview mirror as Mr. State Trooper made a U-turn through the median and
scaled what looked like a 20 foot wall to reach my lane.  Well, I decided I
would just sloooooow down and let him catch up with me.  I remember thinking
"there's a lot of cars out here, maybe he won't recognize me!"  I know, I
know, not very likely, but it seemed to be my only hope.  Sure enough, he
flips on his lights and invites me into his car for a little chat.  "Clocked
you at 107" he said with a grin.  "That's a record for me!"  I gave him a
polite "Thank You" before receiving my paper momento of the occasion and
walking the hundreds of miles back to my car.

For the punishment phase I had my day in court.  Being the president of the
Law Club at my high school (I hadn't learned much) I received one year
deferred adjudication(?) with 107 hour of community service, avoiding jail
time and a large fine.  It's been my policy to avoid speeding more than 9
miles an hour over the posted limit on the highway since then.  Of course, I
found out about two years later that policy didn't work, but that's another
story.

Bill K
BMW CCA 160195