spinning e30

I own a 324es with the "load me up with torque" motor. I have found that
I typically do it when I:
      1500-2000 rpm in second gear
      slightly accelerating
      and any low traction instance.
Where I live the streets are less than perfect even when dry and I have
noticed that I can get the rear end out only in these instances unless I
feel otherwise. One thing I am not sure of is whether I am shifting into
second at the time. I know some driver/car error is invovled because the
last time it happened, I was chasing a late model rx7 twin turbo and one
of my tires was low and I did not react properly. Usually all I have to
do to get the rear end back in line (I never lost it, it just stepped
out of line) is push in the clutch. This gets it back in line rather
harshly but has never let me down. I have never actually spun the car
more than 90 degrees which was last time. Last time, I slammed on the
brakes HARD because of an impending curb, but forgot to put "both feet
in." In other words I didn't push in the clutch and the car kept going
forward. I have taken other turns at higher speeds with the rear
drifting out and caught it with out lifting or pushing in the clutch,
only through keeping the throttle on WOT and adding steering input also
in a low traction instance. Learn to drive the car better and put up
with it is the moral. Not much to be done. I must say though the tires
will make a BIG difference in the way the car handles in the rain.
Craig Robson
PS sorry about the aluminum bit, I realized exactly what al looks like
when it corrodes right after somebody else said it does. I have seen it
in the field and in chem lab.