Re: <WOB> Cheap cars

Mike Stukalin wrote:
> Well, a couple thoughts. For between $2 and $3K you can pick up a
> descent 1st generation MR2 and have an absolute blast. I highly
> recommend an '85 as they handle better than other years.

I second this!  I *still* miss my '86 MR2 and it's been gone since '92.

The '85 and '86 had the superior handling (not just the '85's).  For
'87 and on Toyota softened up the front springs by 11% and induced
some understeer.  This car has a healthy tendency to bring the rear
end around.  Ask me how I know. :)

Try to find one with the full aero package on it (tail, skirts, and
rear sun visor) - they look kinda dorky without it.

I'm very tempted to pick up one of these again myself.  A bonafide
go-kart.  Cars don't get much more fun than this.  Plus, the engine
is a total blender (7800 RPM redline), produces 112HP, gets killer
gas mileage, and is completely bullet-proof.  It's got the original
short-shifter, too, with an almost pistol-grip shift knob.

This car would be so much fun at track school.

You *will* go through tires quickly, but that's ok 'cause they're
pretty cheap (185/60-14).  :)  Oh, yeah, you'll warp front rotors,
too.

This car was way more fun than my '91 MR2 Turbo (second generation),
although much slower.  And in some ways more fun than my M3
(although I wouldn't trade :) ).

How can you argue with a mid-engine 2-seater for $3K?

- - Mark
  '95 M3
  '97 528i
  '86 MR2, gone but not nearly forgotten