Safety Equipment options that do NOT compromise the backseat??

gwells@domain.elided wrote:

> I further raise the question what safety equipment do you have in your car?
> 5pt harness, rollbar/cage,
> fire extinguisher, arm restraints, racing seat, seat brace, what?

Here's a question I haven't seen asked/answered:

	What's the best safety equipment setup possible that does
	not compromise the backseat or daily driver usage?
	Ideally, it would improve both track and highway safety.

I bought an M3 because I wanted a great sportscar that can hold my family of 5.
I would be glad to spend some extra dollars putting in safety equipment,
especially if it also protected my family in an 80mph highway accident.
Afterall, they won't be wearing helmets -- and I care much more about my
daughters' faces than my own.

Unfortunately, most of the safety equipment I've seen is designed assuming
its going into a race car -- not a daily driver, and certainly not a family
car.

So, of your list above, a rollbar/cage is out of the question.  Given that,
a 5pt harness is unwise.  If I lock the seatbelts down tight, I don't really
slip much in the stock seats.  So, other than a small performance advantage
due to the lighter weight and extra support, a racing seat doesn't seem much
point.  (I am assuming the stock seats will not break in a collision.)

That just leaves arm restraints and a fire extinguisher.  I have been looking
into a fire extinguisher (not only for my M3; but also for my off-roading SUV).
I continue to get divergent suggestions on these, so my confusion has gotten
in the way.  Arm restraints should be easy enough -- but those are obviously
just relevant to the track.

Beyond that, do I have any options?  Does anybody make A-, B-, or C-pillar
reinforcements that help prevent roof collapse, but still fit under the stock
interior pieces?

Other safety equipment?

Brian

End of bmw-digest V9 #353