Re:Off track excursions

Finding a good way to train people about dirving in the dirt is a tough
problem.  Most of my experience is from dirt bikes and driving beater
cars off-road (very fun).  Thinking about it a little more, sounds like
us track junkies should go to a pro rally school.....That M powered
318ti that was in a Roundel a month ago looks like alot of fun :-)

When talking about off track driving with my students, I usually ask if
they have ever driven on snow/ice.  If they have, I tell them to treat
the dirt the same way, because, compared to asphalt, dirt/grass is
snow.  Focus on keeping the car straight, no sudden inputs, let the car
settle down, figure out what your options are, look where you want to
go, get the car stopped, and do NOT try to bring the car back on track
until you are waved on by a corner worker.  I also tell them to be
prepared to hear some very bad sounding noises as rocks start banging
the fender wells and  the ride may get rough.

In the end, there's no better way to learn about driving on dirt than to

go do it. When's the next rally school? ;-)

Mike Orth
Tarheel Chapter