re: 88/535is-heater

>Subject: 88/535is-heater
>
>Hi all,
>My 88/E-28 with auto climate control will heat fine at low highways speeds
>but soon as I hit the interstate at speed (75-80)its starts blowing cold
>air.Slow back down its OK again.Anybody ever experience this one please let
>me know.
>Have a great day,
>Gene--88/535is----94Acura GRS

Most likely the fresh air vent flap motor has died. On 86+ E28 the fresh
air vent is motorized to automatically close when A/C is on to help out
the so-so system with forgetful owners and follow the panel setting
otherwise.

The flap and motor linkage are on the right side of the console and
reachable by removing dropping the glove box and removeing the black trim
to the left of it. On mine the cheap plastic internal gears split, but
look for power and linkage that hasn't popped off.

You can temporarily jam it in the closed position to get heat until you
get parts or take it to shop with a little ingenuity.

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp
Denver, CO

E28 Home Page - http://members.aol.com/BMW535i86