Re: Which helmet is best?

Peter H Reinhart wrote:

> Anyway, there's a question in here.  I just signed up for the Tarheel
> Chapter 'Tarheel and Toe' Drivers School, and there is mention of needing a
> Snell-rated helmet.  Back in my 'bike' days a full-face Bell helmet was the
> implement of choice, but the Bell web site only seems to talk about bike
> helmets.  Are there any recommendations about 'good' vs 'less than great'
> helmets out there?  There was talk recently about helmet ratings, but which
> helmets do people like, and where can you get one?  Couldn't see that
> information even on Ben's site!  Any help/opinions etc. are appreciated.

It appears that the two favorite helmet makers are Bell and Simpson.
Both indeed make both auto and bike helmets.  I believe either will be good.

Within those, the key is to find something that is comfortable -- you want
to be able to wear it for an hour without discomfort -- and you want to make
sure it provides proper protection (if sized wrong, it can be dangerous).
One helmet I tried on fit comfortably, but its shape left the front bar about
1/8" off my nose -- any impact would have broken my nose.

You also need to be careful on prices... you'll pay a _lot_ more for helmets
that are super-light or that are aerodynamically designed for open cockpit
cars.  Like $600-700 instead of $250-350.  Some motorcycle M95 helmets can be
as low as $150.

You need to choose M95 or SA95.  For autox only, M95 _may_ be okay.  For anything
beyond autocross, you'll want SA95.  Choose SA95 to be safe.  If you want to save
some money, check all your target events to see if M95 is accepted.

You need to choose closed face or open face.  Many recommend closed face for the
added protection.  I recommend closed face to keep blowing dust out of your eyes.
You can always leave the face shield open or off if you feel its unneeded at times;
but you'll be glad you can close it on a windy afternoon at a dusty track.

You need to choose a size of eyeport if you choose closed face.  They range from
ski goggle size eye port, to very large.  If you wear glasses, make sure you try
the helmet on with your glasses.

Also check the ventilation -- some models seem to be vent-free -- others have vents
everywhere.

FWIW, I chose the Simpson Super Voyager with SA95 rating -- it was comfortable for
my head, very large eyeport, and extra venting.  Even better, it was moderately
priced.

Brian

End of bmw-digest V9 #348