New car, new questions

>From: "Brian Franchuk" <Brian.Franchuk@domain.elided>
>
>I just bought an '88 535i and have a few questions:
>
>1) There's some play in the steer wheel, about 1/2 inch.  Are there
>   any adjustments on the power steering unit?  The car has a speed
>   sensitive power assist.

I think the steering box can be adjusted a little, but if
you're really only dealing with 1/2 inch, I'd say that's normal.
Check your tie rods for slop, and your strut tower mounts.

>2) The vents on the dash blow cold all the time, regardless of the
>   setting of the temp. control.  Is this normal?  The owners manual
>   says that the dash vents bring fresh air into the car.  Fresh air
>   is good, but this is Minnesota!

They all do that :) Really, I think 89 was the first year BMW
put Heat/AC through the dash vents.

>3) At highway speeds, the other air vents (floor and defrost) will
>   suddenly go cold.  Once I slow down to around, the heat comes
>   back.  I originally thought the engine's thermostat was stuck
>   open, but the temp guage doesn't change as I slow down.

Your heater control valve is shot.  It's located on the driver's side
firewall, and can be replaced in 10 minutes with a 13mm socket and
a screwdriver.  The whole valve is ~$100+, but all you need are the
guts, which cost ~$30.

>4) What can I expect for MPG for this car.  I'm getting about 22 on
  the road now.  This seems low, but then again I'm used to my 325,

That's a little low, but not out of the ordinary for spirited driving.
The OBC can and will lie.

The first upgrade I would do with this car?  A Bentley manual.

Mike Reimer