New car, new questions

Hi all,

I just bought an '88 535i and have a few questions:

1) There's some play in the steer wheel, about 1/2 inch.  Are there
   any adjustments on the power steering unit?  The car has a speed
   sensitive power assist.

2) The vents on the dash blow cold all the time, regardless of the
   setting of the temp. control.  Is this normal?  The owners manual
   says that the dash vents bring fresh air into the car.  Fresh air
   is good, but this is Minnesota!

3) At highway speeds, the other air vents (floor and defrost) will
   suddenly go cold.  Once I slow down to around, the heat comes
   back.  I originally thought the engine's thermostat was stuck
   open, but the temp guage doesn't change as I slow down.

4) What can I expect for MPG for this car.  I'm getting about 22 on
   the road now.  This seems low, but then again I'm used to my 325,
   which, unfortunately for me, is for sale.

Other than that, the car's great.  I can't wait to make some mods
this winter.  What do you recommend?  I was thinking of a K&N (maybe
cone) filter and a JimC Chip.

You can see the cars on my webpage: www.mm.com/~franchuk/about/about.htm

Brian Franchuk
'86 Chevy Celebrity