<E30> re:Eng.OIL

In answering Leo's question on engine oil, Chris says:

>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:52:59 -0400
>From: Christopher Pawlowicz <chrisp@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E30> re:Eng.OIL Light On (eta on IV)
>
>Leo sez
>>She has 176,000 miles on her. She purrs like a kitten and roars like a
>>lioness on my command. Yet she started demanding transfusions (a
>>quart) right around the time she is due for an oil change :( This is the
>>third time this has happened before she is due for a lube swap.

[snip]
>When you buy gas, check your OIL. When it gets low, add some.
>Maybe even write it down.

Actually, you should check your oil when the engine is cold, or at least
after it has been sitting, engine off, for at least 10 or 15 minutes.  The oil
in the passages, up in the head, etc., has to have a chance to drain back
into the pan.  When you first stop for gas, the oil hasn't all drained back
down yet, and this can give you a fasle low reading.  I've known people
(non-BMW owners) who keep adding oil based on checking the level
warm, and then overfilling.

How do you know this is true?  With the engine good and warm, do
an oil change.  Take out the drain plug.  There is the first big gush of oil
from the pan.  Don't put the plug back in right away.  How long does the
oil keep dripping out?  About 10 minutes, give or take a few.

Chris's other advice was good, an extra quart between oil changes is
common for an old engine.  For the price of a rebuild, Leo can make it
stop.  Do the math.  You can buy a lot oil for the price of a rebuild.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977