Brant

>Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:26:45 -0500
From: Daniel David Ayd <Daniel.D.Ayd-1@domain.elided>

Anytime we get a ticket it's our fault...if you keep your eyes on the
rearview, look up and down on ramps, and in general, keep your eyes open
you should never get caught speeding.<

Justin -

Do you live in California?  You may be an example of our state animal:  t=
he
California Road Hog.  If you have someone behind you and no one in front =
of
you, change lanes to the right.  Not doing so results in typical Californ=
ia
traffic: an over-weighting of traffic in the left lanes with lots of empt=
space to the right.

From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@domain.elided>

Funny thing is, it's FASTER to just
sit in the fastest lane.  Countless people have ridden my bumper, sprinte=
ahead of me on the right, then been stuck in slower traffic until they
could
get back in my lane, usually several slots behind where they were before.=
<

Bradley -

Spot-on.  In the UK, for example, they are quite happy to let motorists r=
un
along the 70mph-speed-limit motorways at 90 mph, as long as they do not
commit another offense (such as failing to keep right).  The fact is that=

speed is dangerous in some circumstances and not in others.  We'd all be
better off if our "tax collectors in cute uniforms" would focus on
dangerous behavior (and if the courts would support them when they do so =
- -
one of the reasons for the focus on speeding is that, especially with rad=
ar
evidence, it is comparatively easy to obtain convictions).

From: "Bradley J. Otoupalik" <otoupalik@domain.elided>
Police should not be revenue agents, they should be public safety
officers.<