ERK Installation Notes on E34/M50

The following is the email I sent to Ben @ UUC Motorwerks regarding the ERK
installation on my '91 525i. This was a private email that has his
permission to rebroadcast in the public domain.
*********************
Ben and Co.,
I received the package yesterday and installed it last night [Oct 14]. I
have several comments/recommendations that some people may find useful.

1. Send the stuff out UPS or FedEx. Although the USPS is a little less
expensive there are more variables on delivery that YOU (UUC Motorwerks) do
not control. As requested, I asked for a "no signature" drop off with this
package. Guess what? They left me a yellow note saying either come pick it
up at the post office or wait until the next day. When I went to the post
office, I asked why the postman didn't leave it at my house as was
requested and that I had to pick it up? The answer is that it is up to the
discretion of the delivery person whether to leave it, OR NOT. I don't live
in the slums nor is it a neighborhood of palatial mansions, but I never
have this kind of problems with UPS or FedEx. They leave stuff at my door
all the time. Whether its car or gun stuff for me, or Mary Kay or clothing
stuff for my wife and kids, it doesn't matter to the Real Professionals.

2. On the E34/M50 the ERK must be installed while the carrier is in the
car. The way I ended up doing this was as follows:
Remove shifter knob, pull shifter boot and gasket off, remove circlip by
pushing it a with screwdriver through the whole in the console, disconnect
linkage by placing a long screwdriver through a gap between the linkage and
carrier-then going up top and giving the shifter a quick pop to release the
linkage, removing the forward carrier pin and removing the carrier
assembly. I removed the nylon shifter cup (a newish cup installed 6 months
ago, but I had sprayed it with lithium grease before installing it the
first time) and it came out easily by rotating it using a screwdriver.

At this point I installed the ERK with the bushing and shifter and
attempted to reinstall the carrier into the car, but it would not fit no
matter how many ways I tried. So I removed the ERK assembly (ERK, bushing
and shifter together) and reinstalled the bare carrier, but leaving the
front carrier pin UNINSTALLED so I could rotate the carrier as necessary. I
went up top again and installed the ERK assembly and started to install the
bolts. To rotate the carrier enough to sight the holes and provide enough
room for my fingers to work, I pushed on the shifter lever (and thus the
ERK). The ERK wanted to pivot some, but with a little persistence I got the
bolts installed (the bolts fell out a few times (PITA)). Reinstalled front
carrier pin, washers, circlip, gasket, boot and knob.

Total time 1:10. It would have been faster knowing not to install the ERK
onto the carrier until the carrier was in the car.

3. Recommendations: Adding one or two extra bolts, just  in case; extra
yellow washers and a circlip (I had extras from when I BL/SSed my car the
first time); a very small container of lithium grease to lube the nylon cup
 (inside and out); a very small container of Locktite 242 (or its equivalent).

4. Comments. I liked the lower position of the non-ERKed shifter but I like
the smoothness (less notchy) feel. I think this will maintain the health of
the transmission. Great instructions. I wish all upgrades had info like
this. Nice pen; ) Got any other project you need a guinea pig for?

Thanks,
Steve

End of bmw-digest V9 #341