525 i touring wagon

To:   bmw-digest
I just joined the list.  I am currently looking at buying a used 525 1
touring Wagon.  It's a 1992 with 129k on the clock.  I was wondering if
anyone could give any advice on what to look for as trouble spots.  Also
the used dealer is not a BMW shop and will only give a 30 day warranty.  My
Brother in law suggested I call BMW to see if I can get some type of
service contract/warranty through them.  Has anyone ever heard of anything
like this being available and if so what kind of cost/coverage should I
expect/look for.
Thanks