Airbag Dodging

Hello
I submitted this once already, but I think it got passed over for response
in favor
of speeding ticket tales (thanks to those few that did reply).
Surely more of you have some valuable input.

I have a couple of questions about my 1990 325is for anyone who can answer.
First, my cruise control is dead and I have concluded that it is the entire
switch unit (it is total mush, no distinguishable cliccks in the different
positions).  I am quite sure that my BM Dexterity will permit me to change
out this switch with a new one.
One problem, the airbag.
I am frightened by it, or at least all of the horror stories about it.
Could anyone instruct me how to safely work around it and replace the
switch.
And...
as long as we're talking about my steering wheel, it produces a strange,
dull, rattle originating out of stalk somewhere and is directly correlated
to movement (you know, bumps).  It is one of those rattles that only
surfaces when driving and hard to locate when your navigating urban chaos.
Anybody had anything like it?  Did you figure out what it was?
Thanks for any information.

Josh Murray
Los Angeles Chapter