Re: DOT 5 vs. DOT 4

Thanks for all the response's,

The mass's have spoken and they say...go with the DOT 4.  I received
messages from about 25 of you and many had used both DOT 4 and 5.  While no
one felt the DOT 5 would ruin their braking system, or was a safety hazard,
the consensus was that DOT 4 was better for your system and suited the
needs of the many who also tracked their cars.

DOT 5 was deemed a good solution for race cars and restored classic (i.e.
driven infrequently) trailer queens, for different reasons (obviously).
DOT 5 has stuck brakes in the "Bind" position (because of its ability to
absorb more air) and systems with DOT 5 could develop "Dual liquid systems"
within your braking system (by not absorbing the water), although this is
up for discussion because many felt the venting system of your brakes would
dissipate the water well enough.

DOT 5 should not accelerate the wear of your system (if you change the
fluid every year, like many of you seem to do anyway) and is not dangerous
if you already have it in your car.  I received many who have been using
DOT 5 for a long time and they had no problems.

Thanks for the non-discrimination, non-other marque, non-flame content.
Pretty cool stuff.  I go with Super Blue without the dye.

Thanks again.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii