BMW model cars

As you may know, there are a variety of BMW metal miniature cars
available. (We're talking scale models, not that little 3-wheeled car BMW
made in the post-war years or the Z3).  I would like to get a 1:18 scale
E36 M3, but the only one available (that I know of) is Dakar Yellow. I am
thinking of getting this thing and painting it white so it looks like a little
version of my car, maybe using BMW touch-up paint. (Yes, this is pretty
geeky). Has anyone tried to repaint one of these things, & if so, how
hard is it to do a decent job?  I used to build & paint models when I was a
kid, but those were made of plastic and were German machinery of
another sort (Panzer IVs, Tiger II, ME109, etc.).  I would hate to spend
$60 on a toy car & end up with something that looks like a high school
beginning auto shop-quality paint job. TIA

Andy '95 M3