simulation as a tool to improve performace

John Bolhuis wrote:

 Also, don't overlook the value of getting to know the basic layout of
a track via a mere game.  Some of these things have the major tracks
laid out with great precision.  So don't overestimate the value of a
racing sim, but don't completely write them off either...

- - --

Here is where we converge a little... the pros in many sports (games)
know the value of visualization.  The Microsoft game has some tracks
built in that indeed would give a driver a chance to review the layouts.

I believe that there is a valid place for simulation (at a low cost) in
a driver's training process.  It is only a small piece of the puzzle, but
don't discount the value of simulation due to a perception of cheap
computer games.

Now, if you want to increase the cost and sensory inputs of these games
to provide  a touch more interest, try a force fed back wheel, shifter
and pedal set... the graphics are actually better than in the big 747
simulator at Boeing (I have 9 hours in this game machine), but the
sensory experience in it is waaayyyyy cooler!  Of course the hydraulics
add about 20 million to the cost.

Jan Nelson (back from Venezuela and feeling it... somthing I ate?)
82 745i
83 745i

End of bmw-digest V9 #334