<misc>REPLY-Dot 5 brake fluid characteristics

Jerry wrote:

A few days back I posted in response to someone's query on doing an E28
brake job.  In my response I advised changing out their brakes fluid with
DOT 5.  Now here is my dilemma.  Soon after my post I was advised that DOT
5 was the worst possible thing I could put into my car and that the advise
I had given was potentially catastrophic and maybe even life-threatening.
I queried a respected (at least by me) member of the Digest who has given
mounds of good info in the past if this was correct.  His advise was that
DOT 5 ISN'T bad.  I would like to get to the bottom of this because I am
due for another brake job and was planning on changing to SS lines and swap
to DOT 5.

<snip>

I _think_ when most people think DOT 5, they instantly think Silicone Brake
Fluid, which does have a lot of negatives, most of them you mentioned in the
rest of your  post.  BUT, I believe there are makers of DOT 5 fluid in
conventional form.  Wagner recently advertised this somewhere..

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD