Re: <E30> need to replace rear shock mounts

From: "Money, Jon" <JMoney@domain.elided>
(summarized)
>replacing the upper shock mounts on my '89 iX.
>are the ones from the convertible are beefier ?
>do i need any special tools to do this?

The Mobile Tradition parts CD refers to stock upper shock mount guide
support.

iX guide-support Part# is 33-52-1-128-819, sugg retail is $13.50 each
iC guide-support Part# is 33-52-1-132-104, sugg retail is $22.00 each

It is my understanding that the iC guide-support is more durable than stock
iX guide-support.

No special tools are required for either.

The hardest part is removing the inner trunk covers (plastic/carpet).
Jack up the car, support each of the rear suspension arms.
The rear shock limits the rear suspension arm travel, without the shock,
there is the possibility of damaging the CV joints and/or brake lines.
The upper shock mounting stud is connected to the guide support by one bolt
and various washers. The guide-support is connected to the chassis by two
nuts. Remove these two nuts, after the shock is removed from the car, then
deal with guide-support/shock nut. Remove the bolt that connects the shock
to the suspension arm. The shock can then be removed from the car.

Make sure that you have the paper gasket that is between the guide-support
and chassis.
To install, have the guide-support fastened to the shock. Extend the shock,
feed it up in position (insert the two guide-support studs into the holes).
Start the suspension arm bolt. Go up top and put the two nuts onto the
guide-support studs. Then go-below and tighten the lower suspension arm
bolt.

>still looking for advice on an exhaust system replacement.
>this car will have a JimC chip and k&n cone filter w/heat shield by the
>time i replace the exhaust.

(Just in case you do not know)
Due to your proposed K&N cone filter / free flow muffler;
do not buy the standard 325iX JimC chip.
To get the maximum benefit from your application, JimC must be aware of the
K&N/exhaust setup, so that a special chip can be programmed for your
application.

Regards,
Alan Alfano
alan.alfano@domain.elided