Re: Wanted: E30 325e or 318 without sunroof

Michiel van Wessem wrote:

> Tonight I saw an 86 325 for $3000 that with some work could become a
really
> nice car. However, it had a sunroof. Now I'm 6'4" and these sunroofs
take
> away the two inches that I really need to be comfortable (even with
the
> seats all the way down).
>
> I assume that sunroofs are considered a luxury feature. For me, they
make
> it unpleasant to drive a car. I have to put the seatback way back,
where I
> can't hold the steering wheel well anymore. The excellent headroom
these
> cars would otherwise have are one of the reasons I want one.
>
> I've been looking through all the ads I could find online and it seems
that
> all of the cars advertised, including the ones further away, have
these
> damn sunroofs.
>
> Do these cars exist without sunroof? Is it possible to remove a
sunroof and
> recover the headroom?
>
> I'd like to ask if any of you either have or know of a good 325(e/es)
or
> 318 without a sunroof for sale. I'd prefer to spend $4000 or less, but
> would really like to know about it even if the asking price is higher.
I'm
> looking for a manual transmission. Within maybe 200 miles from
Philadelphia.

Michiel,

You didn't say if you were talking about Europe or the US. Assuming
you're talking US, I believe all the E30 fixed roof cars from '84
through '91, with the exception of the '91 318i, came with the sunroof.
I believe that model would be out of your price range.

I've got the same problem as you, just not as bad. The only thing that
keeps my head off the ceiling is the worn out seat springs.

HTH,
Evan