<E30> cut-out at 5k+rpms (pls.help!)

Matt Meakin sez
>I have come across a problem with my '88 325iS recently........the car will
>cut-out (and the "check engine" light comes on) at 5.5-6k rpms while at WOT in
>3rd/4th/ and 5th gears.

what fault code do you get ?

O2 sensor going bad would give you a check engine light but would not
kill the engine (it just runs the engine from memory and does a pretty
 good job ie: you often don't notice any difference when o2 sensor dies
 except the check engine light comes on and a fault code is set)

distributor is a maybe, (cracked?) as well as flaky plug wires

also, check connections at ECU (hope it isn't bad solder joint in ECU)
and air flow meter

hope this helps

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i