<E36> Porsche/Turner Big Brakes

This is a fairly long review of Turner/Porsche Big Brakes on an E36 325is
(Der Dinanstein).  If you arn't interested, skip down.

After getting a nice bonus from work, I finally bit the bullet and decided
to get myself a set of Porsche brakes.  The kit is made by Movit in Germany
(www.movit.de), distributed by Steve D at the Ultimate Garage
(www.ultimategarage.com) and I got my set through Turner Motorsport
(www.turnermotorsport.com).  I got my kit through Turner because they had
the calapers in stock, and there name engraved in the black binders looks
very cool (the very kit I got is the same one pictured on there site).
Personally, I didn't want "Porsche" on my car and the red calapers sort of
stick out (I am not a big fan of color), however, you can order your kit in
black and get whatever you want scripted on the calapers.  I really wish
they came in Silver (an option on Porsches), and I would have gladly paid an
extra coupel of hundred for this option.
I measured my current settup for clearence.  They say you need 62mm of
backspacing minimum, but I would recommend you make that minimum about 65
(just to be on the safe side).  I had 61mm with Dinan/Fikse wheels and Dinan
3/8" wheel spacers (pet peve of mine, I wish Dinan would provide hardware
and fasteners in metric instead of standard), so with the kit, I also got
some H&R wheel spacers (15mm).
After some problems with UPS, I finally got the huge box of stuff.  With the
kit, I also got some Kmac adjustable camber plates which I have yet to
install, and 2 liters of Ate Blue.  Doug was also cool enough to throw in a
TMS T-shirt and a TMS note pad.  When I first picked up the calaper, I was
amazed.  These things are HUGE!  The rotor is also impressive, but when put
up next to an M3 floating rotor, they arn't that much bigger, however, the
attention to detail that Porsche puts into these rotors and calapers is
second to none. Since Movit does not make the calapers and rotors (Brembo
makes them to Porsche specs, and Porsche assembles the parts to control
quality, and it shows when compared to the Brembo kits I have scene, there
is a quality differene thanks to our friends in Stuttguart), I examined the
components Movit makes on there CNC.  The hardware provided is all 12.9
grade (highest quality) and is magnificent.  The brake lines are made by
Fischer of Germany, and the quality was just as good as my English Goodrich
lines).  I got the brackets (shipped from Germany) on Friday and they were
the part I was most concerned about because most of the kits I have scene
use wimpy brackets.  These steel brackets are beefy as hell.  Nothing is
going to bust these brackets!  All in all, the quality of the kit is enough
that I have no trouble trusting my life to any one of those parts.
Installing the kit took some doing, about 5 hours of time.  Though the
instructions were good, they did not point out that it is necessary to cut a
couple of the bolts, and also grind the rest.  About an hour of our time
installing the kit came from our trying to avoid cutting (you should avoid
cutting stuff unless it is absolutely necessary).  If they instructions
would have included that little fact, it would have been very nice.
Once everything was on, we stepped back and looked... These things are very
wicked.  They look ultra cool.  I needent say more.
We did the normal brake in.  We noticed that there is a slight vibration in
the steering wheel above about 60mph.  Either the rotors are out of balance
or (what we think is probably the reason) one of my wheel weights got
knocked off.  Any way it goes, we think that the problem will be solved with
either new rotors or rebalanced wheels.  All in all, I don't really care
about a little wheel vibration because when you stand on the brakes, you
don't care! Now, I have a 325, and I was expecting sort of M3 brake
tendencies.  I like M3 brakes, but I think they have one major problem and
that is a very severe bite when you first touch the pedal.  I think after
you get used to it, there Ok, but I like more progressive pedal feel.  The
Porsche ones start off very light, but the more you press on them, the
better they get.