Re: Honda's Are GREAT CARS

I really hate to get in on a complete <WOB> but I can't resist this one:

 Lee.Leslie@domain.elided wrote:

>Subject: Honda's Are GREAT CARS

>.. my 99 V6
>weighs in a 3300 lbs, yes it is lighter than my 3800 lb 635, but I would
>rather be in the Honda if I had a wreck..

    ... and I'd rather be in a BMW to *drive*.  Oh, and if I were planning
on being in a wreck, the 635 would still be my choice.  S-O-L-I-D,
especially if you've seen that video of an E28 535i hitting a train head-on
(off-center), flipping end-over-end several times, and finally stopping with
both ends crushed but the passenger compartment completely straight.

>The Honda's are much more reliable, yes the BMW's will take them on the
track
>but for daily driving (the purpose of cars to begin with) the Honda is a
much
>better substitute unless you have unlimited resources..

        Ummm... reliable?  Yeah, they're still running after 100K but maybe
not all that well... and all the little stuff *does* rot out and rather
quickly.  You can't keep brake rotors on a 3rd generation Accord from
warping doing any type of stopping other than in your driveway.  The BMW
with normal maintenance will still be running *strong* at 200K, and the body
will still be structurally solid.

        "The purpose of cars to begin with" can only be described as
movement; the "original" cars could not be counted on for "daily driving" by
any stretch of the imagination, and it was the enthusiast driving spiritedly
(on or off the track) that developed the car to what we know today.
Motorsport was there from day one when the guy driving that single-cylinder
Daimler said to himself, "Can't this damn thing go any faster?"

        Needing "unlimited resources" is a bit of hyperbole, isn't it?  I
have found BMW parts to cost the same or less than equivalent Honda or
Toyota parts.

>I drive the 635 for fun, I drive the Accord for a comfortable, reliable
>vehicle to take to the office & on the road..

        And I drive a Toyota for my 100-mile daily commute because I can't
trust people on the Garden State Parkway not to hit my car... I don't give a
damn if the Toyota gets hit, it's rusty, has a cracked piston, and very few
of the accessories work (A/C, radio, low beams, left turn signal)... and
it's an '87 with only 138K miles.  Ayuh, reliable.

        When I'm driving a BMW, I feel like I'm really driving.  When I'm
driving a Honda, I feel like a passenger with pedals to push now and then.

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo, 192K miles of high-boost enthusiastic driving with the
original engine.
'86 535i, 80K and looks almost like new
'87 Celica, 138K and looks like hell, sort of runs well enough, and is
DISPOSABLE... hit me, I need the money!