<e30> strange noise

I have an '84 318i, almost 167,000.  I have this noise coming from the
engine.  It almost sounds like a rubbing belt, but it goes away.  Also i
checked the belts, they're all nice and tight, and no sign of rubbing.
It's kind of a whir, whir sound higher pitched.  I looked in the engine,
and it sounds like it coming from the unit sitting on top of the enging (to
the left looking out of the windshield).  And it does have a belt attached
to it.  But it sounds like the sound is coming from inside it?  it's
somewhat noticible when i start the car, but after a mile of driving, it's
considerably louder.  After another mile, gone.  I would just like some
insight.  Car is going to the mechanic this week for an oil change anyway.

Thanks
- -jake
      __/ / / / / /_/ / __   1984 318i
     /_  / / / / __  / / /  167,000 mi