Re: <e30> strange noise

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Jake Abramson wrote:

> I have an '84 318i, almost 167,000.  I have this noise coming from the
> engine.  It almost sounds like a rubbing belt, but it goes away.  Also i
> checked the belts, they're all nice and tight, and no sign of rubbing.
> It's kind of a whir, whir sound higher pitched.  I looked in the engine,

 Could be the bushings that hold the alternator in place - they go
soft and allow the alternator to move a bit so that the pulley is no
longer parallel to the driving pulley.  Not only does this cause belt
noise, but it also causes the belt to wear out faster.
 I can make mine go quiet by grabbing the alternator while it's
running and moving it back into position.  Of course, putting your
hands down there while it's running is dumb.  So don't do it.

- --
  John Bolhuis    | These are no ordinary monkeys --
 bolhuijo         | these are mean, spiteful, butt-biting
  @domain.elided   | monkeys with an obvious mission: conquest.
                                        -tabloid.net