<E30> Water Pump, Timing Belt - Oops

Ron, thanks for clearing that up.  Apparently I was misinformed.

>Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 09:46:00 -0500
>From: Ron Milliet <milliet@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Water pump e30
>
>Scott, Are you saying that the water pump has to be pulled to replace
>the timing belt? If so, this is WAY wrong man.  I think you just have it
>backwards.  I know for a fact the water pump does not have to come
>off to replace the timing belt on my 325is.  How do I know? I have done
>it twice...and have NEVER replaced the water pump...still the original
>pump...12 years old...160k+ miles.
>
>Ron Milliet
>McComb, MS

Still, it is fairly common for mechanics to recommend pump replacement
at the time of belt replacment to save possible duplication of labor when
the pump fails (assuming it WILL fail sooner rather than later), and it is
also true that the belt does not have to be removed to replace the pump,
right?

I haven't had to change a timing belt yet, I keep crashing the cars before
they have enough miles to need the belt.  :^)

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA blah blah blah