Re: HELP!! I can't wire my new euro lights!!

Rob Anderson writes:

> I have recently aquired a set of Euro M635csi head lights for my US
> E28, and I have not been able to wire them at all.  They have a 10 watt
> parking light bulb, and a single filament bulb in the low beams, and a
> single filament bulb in the high beams.
>         My goal is to have the 10 watt bulbs come on with the parking lights,
> and the low beams to come on in the usually position.  I would like the
> low beams and the fog lights to stay on when I put on the high beams.
>         I have cut the loop from the the high beam to the low beam(high beam
> side) and wired it to the parking lights in the bumper, which are
> conected to the 10 watt bulbs.  The problem I am running into is that I
> cannot figure out what causes the low beams and the fog lights to go off
> when I put on the high beams.  I believe there is a power cut off from
> the stalk to the switch, but I cannot figure out what wire it is.  Do I
> need a new relay?

Rob

Personally I would not wire them the way you propose. I would replace
the low beam single filament socket with a dual socket and use an Hi/Lo
H4 bulb in its place. Use of the "aux street parking lights" is up to
you.

You are having difficulty with the low beams and fogs because of the way
they are "designed" to go off when the highs come on. The operating
ground for the low beam and fog relays comes from attaching then to
output of the high beam relay. Therefore, when the high are off, the
ground for the low relay comes through the high beam bulbs - using the
ground that they use when they are on. But when the high beams come on,
that removes the ground to the low beam & fog relays, and they drop off.

You really do not want the low beams and fogs on with the highs - that
would use too much power and you should use that power to light 4 high
beam filaments instead - cause you are really trying to put light in the
distance at speed - that is where your future is coming from - quickly.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada