Re: winter tires / Yokohama Guardex

>Probably Hakkapeliitta.  It's Finnish.  More info is available on
>http://www.nokiantyres.com.  These have been recommended to me as simply
>the best snow/ice tires available.  They are used for winter rallying and
>ice racing.  My Pirelli Winter 190's wore out last year, and I am probably
>going to be replacing them with a set of Hakkas this winter.  Ask me again
>in the spring, and I'll give you a comparison report.
>
>Ed
>
>Ed Seidman
>eseidman@domain.elided
>'87 325is

Back when I used to have an Eagle Talon TSi AWD, I knew several guys who
ran Hakkapeliitas for winter rally driving. They were an awesome tire, and
when coupled with the AWD of the Talon, there was no stopping the car.
Granted most of us don't have AWD, but FWIW, they appear to be a really
good snow tire.

Personally, I've got a set of Yokohama Guardex tires I bought last year. I
got my car around Christmas time, so all of its initial driving was done on
these. I purchased them from the Tire Rack mounted on steel wheels, and was
quite happy with them. Seem good in the snow, and handled reasonably well
on the dry (but it's still a snow tire - not an R1). They are also pretty
quiet. Unfortunately, it's almost time for them to go back on. Hey Jim
Powell, any houses for sale near you in San Diego?    :-)

The Tire Rack tried to get be to buy the Blizzaks, but I didn't want to
spend all that $ for a tire that turns into an all-season radial after the
1st 45% of the tread is gone. Besides, I've got my SP2000s for when the
weather is good.

Standard disclaimers about the Tire Rack apply. YMMV with the Yokohama's.

Bill Bauman
'97 328is w/sport pkg
BMW CCA #150616
Genesee Valley Chapter