<E28> Shifter on Automatic

OK, I may be the only one on here willing to admit that I not only have a
528e, but an AUTOMATIC 528e as well!  Anyway, it's an 84, and the foam used in
the shifter has worn out so that the stop mechanism doesn't return.  I take it
this is a common problem since every one of the automatics I looked at had the
same problem.  The dealer looked at me a little funny when I asked about the
part and said they might be able to order it, but you know how that goes.
Hmmmmm, I didn't think of it before, but maybe it was really age
discrimination!  :-)  Anybody got a simple solution?  Thanks.

And forgive me for asking a BMW related question (yes, I DO consider my 528e a
BMW)...

Bill K