Bmw Saftey

    Jerry
 I have agreed with the majority of your post... but, when it comes
to high speed head on or 1/2 on impacts you are wrong!!!
One of those night time news shows (Dateline, 20/20 ect...) aired
the now "famous" 1/2 on (driver side) impact at 50 mph. with
several cars, one of which was an E-36.  This was last fall when
we (spouse) were starting to consider the purchase of an E-36 or
similar class.

    All autos used carried a crash dummy and the test were very scientific.
After the impact the amount of floor deflection was measured, and
in some cases the floor came in 12"-14"!!! On one car the leg of
the dummy was so stuck between the floor and the steering wheel
a hammer was used to remove the leg. Can you say "OUCH"?

    The E-36's front end absorbed the impact so well the floor only
moved 2 1/2 inches and the door latched and unlatched perfectly.
After watching several of the other cars impact where the door popped
open (not healthy) or the dummy mashed its head hard on the pillar,
the wife looks at me and says "The next one is going to be a BMW."

- --Martin Miller
 1993 325isa 23,568 miles Arctic Silver on black

p.s. In hind sight there is no other similar class.