Re: Stop the whining. RE:Age discrimination NOT, stop whining

Bubba Michel wrote:
> Stats is stats. Statistics. The exception to the rule can expect to
> be trampled.  A vast majority of first time new BMW owners are not
> young. Stat's are one of the reasons fishermen don't go fishing at a
> water fountain.

While I tend to agree with Bubba Michel, he's way off base on this
point.  In some prominent cases.

For example, I live in Silicon Valley.  There are more 20-somethings
here with six and seven-figure bank accounts than I can shake a
stick at.  The IPO market has done wonders for those hungry younger
years.  Now, I'm not one of those 24-yr-olds who worked at Netscape
and paid cash for a house in Palto Alto, but I have worked damned
hard and the rewards have been not insignificant.

So at the ripe young age of 26, with a checkbook in my pocket, I was
denied a test drive of an M3 at a local Silicon Valley dealer.
"See, customers around here are engineering types, and they like to
buy their cars with very few miles on them."

*I'm* an engineering type (or, I was then).

I was dressed professionally (in Silicon Valley terms) and was, in
fact, going to buy a car.

Tell me this was not because of my age.

Now, in other parts of the country, where extremely well-off young
people are *not* the norm, I can find this understandable.

But dammit, if you want to run a business, you need to understand
your business environment.

I bought my car elsewhere.

- - Mark
  '95 M3, Sharked, BLESSed, X-braced