Re: <Cars FS, WOB>

At 01:36 PM 10/9/98 -0400, you wrote:
>In the past couple of days I've seen posts by sellers and buyers.  How bout
>going to a place like www.KBB.com (Kelley Blue Book)  BEFORE you post here.
>The cars in both posts (not what I would consider special or high demand)
>were asking 20% over RETAIL!!!!  Who's gonna pay that much?  If I was gonna
>pay retail for a car, well, I'd go a buy new one (but I prolly wouldn't
>really pay retail, hehe).  Use my car as an example:
<snipped the rest>

Chris makes some valid points.  The one thing I don't think he is taking
into consideration is that we are classified as an enthusiast's of the
marque, and car guys period.  I would rather pay a little more for an
enthusiast owned and maintained car than a non-enthusiast owned car.  I
tend to take much better care of my car than the next guy.  Religious oil
changes at 3k miles, wash every week and wax at least once a month, chips
quickly covered with touch-up, little things replaced/repaired the day
after they happen, no dents or scratches, etc...

Good 2002 tii's are going for $8-9k in the Roundel, but can be had for much
less from non-enthusiasts.  I usually ask high on the cars I sell and I
won't budge much because I know whats out there.  I almost always get 95%
or higher of my asking price.  I even once was selling a Jeep YJ for hi
book and took the car to a prospects mechanic.  After looking at the car
for about 15 minutes, the mechanic came back and told the guy not to
bargain because the car was like a new car.  This car had 75k miles on it.
I got my asking price.

I guess my point is that it depends on the car.  Kelly Blue Book is a
starting point but things go up/down from there based on the car.

Thanks for the soapbox.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5 (worth more than hi book)
'72 tii (not even worth the book)