<E34> Cracked door brake mount

Mike:

Been there, done that!  My door brake (the thing that keeps the door from
being opened too far) let go last year, and did indeed pound a little dent
into the outer door skin.  I had the dent removed, the door repainted, and
new plate welded into the door to receive the new door brake, but after
about a year, the replacement plate has cracked and the whole thing is
wobbly.  (I'm a little steamed that they didn't do a better job the first
time around!)  If you can get this fixed for $300 with a good, solid,
welded replacement plate and decent paint, consider yourself lucky.  I'm
now looking at round two of exorcising this gremlin.

- -Knute
'92 525i
Pizzafest II "Insanity Award" for longest cross country drive (SF Bay
Area), and very glad to finally be out of the car for a few days!  (Just
got home last night)

Mike Gruby <gruby@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: '92 535i Door Hinge Cracked??
>
>On my car where the Door hinge bolts onto the door, has a the metal on the
>door all cracked where the hinge is bolted on.  The dealer told me if this
>breaks, the hinge will go through and put an outer dent in the door and
>break something with the window in the door.  I got an estimate for 300
>dollars at twin citys body shop in champaign, but took it home to have my
>dad take car of it with his body man.  Don't know how much he wants, but it
>won't be 300 bucks.  Anyways, has anyone expierenced this problem? I don't
>see how this can happen on a '92 car even if it has 140k miles on it,
>unless the last owner just kicked the door open everyday for 6 years.
>Seems to me like a design flaw or poor craftsmanship.
[...]