Yet another age discrimination story...

About 6 months ago my girlfriend and I visited a BMW dealership here in
Arizona with the intentions of test driving an E39 540i.  The salesmen was
friendly enough to come out with alarm remote control and demonstrate how
the windows and  sunroof can be operated remotely.  He answered all the
questions I asked to the best of his ability...but when I asked for a test
drive he absolutely wouldn't budge.  I got a line something to the effect
that "this is the only vehicle of it's type in our area, if you drive it
and rack up any miles we won't be able to trade it with another
dealership."  Then he preceded to ask me all kinds of questions about my
current occupation...obviously trying to size up my income. He did offer to
let us test drive a Z3...which we were not the least bit interested in, but
we took the test drive anyway.  As I sat down he proceeded to tell me that
the a pillar/windshield served as a rollbar...as my 6'4" frame protruded
several inches above the windshield.

The kicker is...I drove to the dealership in my '89 535i which had a fresh
coat of zymol.  From a hundred feet away you couldn't tell if it was an '89
or a '95.  When the salesman asked me what I'm driving currently I motioned
to my 5 on the lot, and he responded with something to the effect "you can
trade that 'old' car in."

I'm 24 years old and with my receding hair line I've been told I look 30.
I have a legitimate job as an information technology consultant and within
a year I'll be contract consulting and will easily be able to afford a new
540.  I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I attended a cheap
state university and busted my ass to get where I am.  I realize I'll never
fit in with the frat boy/Ivy league crowd (nor do I desire to), but I'll be
damned if I have to receive this kind of treatment from a BMW dealership.
I've since visited several other dealerships in California and Las Vegas
and never had a problem.  A physician friend of mine, who happens to be
Hispanic, has received absolutely poor customer service when he has taken
his E30 in for service at the same Arizona dealership.  Apparently, one of
his female physician friends, who was casually dressed, dropped by this
same dealership to look at a new 3 series.  She was promptly given a line
to the effect "you can't afford these cars little lady."

I realize this a problem that I'll outgrow eventually, but it's annoying to
work so hard to be treated like this....just my two cents.

Lance Cameron
'89 535i/Sharked/K&N