6 Cylinder Engine Failures

 I read with horror in the latest issue of Roundel about hundreds of new
6 cylinder engines in late model BMWs failing in Britain.  Apparently
the failure is due to the high sulfer content in British gasoline which
is reacting adversely with the nickel cylinder liners.  Well this poses
a very interesting (and worrisome) question for non British owners which
could go something like, "Even though my gasoline has lower sulfer
levels, is it merely a matter of time before my engine fails too?"

If anyone has any good info on this potentially ugly issue, all of us
new 6 cylinder owners would like to hear.
Thanks.
Barnie Barnick  CCA# ??
97 528i