Re: Off Track Excursions at the track

Michael Weishaar wrote:

> Pat Donahue wrote:
>
> > You should be able to feel how much the car is going it's own way.  You
> > probably knew before you hit the rumble strips that you were going to.
> > In the same way you'll know before you drop a wheel if you're going to.
>
> I didn't think I would go off. (OK, maybe hoped is a better word).I think the
> difference between thinking you will go off, and knowing you will
> comes with experience.  I did ease up a little, so maybe that is what held me
> on the pavement.

Part of what these schools is all about is learning how to feel what
your car is doing.  More experience always makes a difference in these
things.  Remember to be careful if you're in a turn over your head.
Lifting can exacerbate a bad situation and cause you a spin.  Obviously
when you're spinning you're not in control.

> > If you can't feel all these things going on you should find a skid pad
> > to work on for a while.  You can feel the car letting go of the pavement
> > and feel recovery all at a safe slow speed.
>
> I know when it will let go on regular pavement, what I didn't know was howthe rumble
> strip would affect my grip on the road.  That gave me a split-second-pucker.

Maybe someone can explain to both of us why it is but I don't notice as
much degredation in traction on rumble strips as I expect.  Is that
because the tires are deforming and conforming to the pavement better
than I think?

I dunno about you, but that I like to get that split second pucker every
now and then.  :)

> ///Michael
> 88 M3

- --