<E30> 318/325 buying questions

Both cars are very nice examples of BMWs.  You'll find the 325e to be
more powerful and smoother than the 318i (which is, admittedly, a wee
bit underpowered).  The tradeoff is that the 318i has more neutral
handling as a result of less weight over the front wheels.

Both cars will probably last a good many miles for you, but my guess
is that the 325 owner will have taken better care of the car (I've
seen too many beat up 318s to think any differently).  Check out the
Eta registry to see how many high-mileage 325e's are out there!

The only difference between a 325 and a 325e is the badging.  However,
in '88, BMW boosed the power of the Eta engine by 6 hp.  The "s"
signifies a sport interior as well as a stiffer suspension.  You'll
probably pay more for this.

Don't buy a car with rust.  BMW has done a really good job protecting
the metal from rot.  If it's rusted, it hasn't been taken care of.
You'll be able to find a nice used example of either car within your
price range.

Good luck!

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e