Re: Get off James's back

 Rob  (rramirez@domain.elided) said:

- ---------
     Hey all you holier than thou's.. he WON that chip.  He is going to
     HELP a fellow BMW owner get a DME upgrade for $150 less than the
     normal price.  If he was rich and he won the lottery, would you make
     him give it back since he didn't really need it?  That's ridiculous.
     His only transgression is that he originally offered it for $200 first
     and raised (sorry to that guy who got screwed there... that DOES suck
     and you have a legitimate complaint but about the offer that was
     "renegotiated", not about selling the chip in the first place) but
     hey, he needs to fix his bumper and that's expensive.  if he can get
     $350 towards that, he should.  If Jim chooses not to tech support it
     or not do it, well, I think that is poor support for a current
     customer and it will be a real shame for another BMW driver. What
     would the difference have been if James had a 328i and said, I'll sell
     my upgraded DME for your stock one plus $350 so I can have Jim C
     upgrade it since I won a free DME upgrade...  (If this can't be done,
     well, it's only hypothetical, I have no idea)  ...Nobody would think
     twice about that.

     Just my opinion...

     Rob
- ----------

It amazes me how many folks who religiously uphold the concept of "free
market" (apprently interpreted to mean that you should try to profit in a
most callous manner off of a door-prize...) will jump all over those simply
expressing their right to have their own opinion, sometimes known as "free
speech"!

Seems to me that surely, in an economic system that allows one to speculate
on baby food, we can allow folks to express their frustration at what they
feel is tasteless and callous, not to say overly commercial, behavior on
this list....

I am in favor of free enterprise in general, but I also believe that
raising issues of decorum and even morality, will keep the "free market"
from becoming something we serve, rather than something that serves us.

So if you are opposed to gov't. control of the market, then at least grant
freedom of expression to those who feel that speculating on door prizes is
*tacky*....

thanks

DC

Don Cicchetti