recall work for subsequent owner

I don't know about other countries, but I'm 95%
sure in the US of A any subsequent owner can get
recall work done. That is one of the reasons most
car owner's manuals have a card you're supposed to
send in to register yourself as the new owner,
even if the warranty is no more; the company has
to contact all registered owners when they have
safety-related recalls. (No one bothers to send in
the card for cars out-of-warranty though).

On an unrelated note, when I have a slow day I
will look into whether there are any antitrust
implications to the BMW policy of not providing
independent service shops with repair info.
(Someone asked about this on the Digest a few days
ago). Now is wish I hadn't sold back my Antitrust
textbook (for $4 I think) when I graduated.