Re: BL/SS concerns - Reply...

hi lew, others...

as there are hundreds of original digesters that have the BL/SS installed in
their cars with no problems, it was conveyed to me that the increased selector
rod angles which the M Roadster lever and other aftermarket SS kits may
prematurely wear out the seals of the input shaft.

always looking for the optimum solution, we developed the ERK which properly
relocates the selector rod to the factory position so that your shifts remain
short, but the angle of the selector rod does not change one bit.  the ERK
works with bent BL/SS lever and unbent BL/SS levers and merely moves the pivot
up higher (closer to the original stock position).

if you've been driving around with the unERK'd BL/SS setup, you're probably
used to the lower knob height.  the ERK _does_ move the pivot of the lever
upwards, raising the knob height with it.

i'll be taking some measurements on an E36 M3 tomorrow regarding reduction of
notchiness, etc. with a scale so that i'll have some numbers to confirm what
people have been feeling with their "shifting arm dynos".

regarding problems waiting to happen, i can't confirm or deny the messages
that have been muttered about from others.   short shifters have been around a
long time, but then again, i've never heard of the above problems personally.
others are invited to chime in, but with the ERK, we've addressed the
"problems".  if they really are problems, i fortunately don't have to worry so
much.  the many happy BL/SS - ERK'd customers, they don't have to worry
either.

if i can answer any other questions, feel free to shoot me a note.  many of
the issues are discussed on our website.

regards,
ben liaw
uuc motorwerks - www.shortshifter.com

In a message dated 10/7/98 11:46:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,