What's the best performance chip?

Pardon my ignorance, but I am new to the world of BMW's and am looking for a
performance chip for a 1993 325i. All of the chips list different performance
specs. and I wasn't really sure how accurate their numbers are. Plus, I am
sure they each alter peformance in a different way. Lastly, do I have to send
my computer away, or can I just put it in myself. I am admittedly quite naive
in car repair but I am hoping I can handle it. I realize that we have at least
one expert (Jim C.) on the list, so I am sure somebody out there knows this
stuff. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best Regards,

David Koretz
'93 BMW 325i soon to be a bit faster :)
'90 300Z in 300Z heaven due to an old woman with bad eyesight :(

- ----Reporter to Mahatma Ghandi, "Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of western
civilization?" Ghandi replied... "I think it would be a good idea."----