M42 timing chain tensioner

A few weeks ago I replaced the timing chain tensioner
for the 2nd time..! typical symptoms are, sounds like a bunch
of loose bolts rattling around especially around 2krpms.
Happens when the engine is cold, noise goes away after about 5 minutes.

The original tensioner got noisy just before I replaced the
profile gasket. It was replaced with the newer style tensioner
(much easier to install, (thnx Mike Miller) just screw it in, no
need to open the timing case cover).

The 2nd one only lasted 1-1/2 years, i'm not sure why it failed, maybe
gummed up, I'd like to take the thing apart sometime but it doesn't
come apart as easily as the original, will take it apart somehow and report!
Mike Miller pointed out bmw parts have a 1 year warranty.. just missed
it, o well its a fairly inexpensive part, and is really easy to replace,
1 beer cap job.

- -Frank Schulz '92 318is