325e Repairs

I have a 1985 325e, with 63,000 original miles, that has been sitting for 6
years and I am now trying to bring it back.  Problem #1.  Erratic Idle.  I
have replaced a bad transfer pump to no avail.
Problem #2  Intermittent start problems.  Sometimes the engine will fire
right up.  Other times it will act as if there is no spark.  At times when
the engine fires, it stays at a steady RPM (about 700-800) regardless of the
accelerator position.  Last night I took the car around the block several
times with the engine acting this way and when I got back the header was
cherry red hot.  I let the engine cool off a bit and the engine started up
again but this time acted and drove normally (with the erratic idle).
Any diagnostic help would be greatly appreciated.