Re: <E30> clutch slave juice

bolhuijo@domain.elided wrote:

>  With the help of my new Ultimate Garage pressure brake bleeder kit
> (shameless plug), I did the full brake flush of both my E30 325ic and
> an E28 535i.  That thing is cool.  The thing that worried me was that
> the fluid flushed from my E30 calipers was caramel colored (probably
> too old), but the fluid flushed from the clutch slave cylinder was the
> most horrible black foul-looking stuff!  This car has a mere ~50k
> miles and is only 6 years old.  Is this a warning sign that something
> is about to go sproing?

No, nothing wrong (IMHO).  I've seen this before on vehicles where the
fluid has not been flushed for this long.  The fluid should be flushed once
a year.  If you follow once-a-year flushing, you will not see the dark fluid
again.  Remember, the fluid absorbs moisture, and the moisture causes
rusting/corrosion of the metal within the system, plus, the rubber in the
system also degrades to a minor extent as well (thus, periodic failure of
seals/cylinders (also due to wear from simple use)).

>  The fluid flushed from the E28 clutch slave was very normally dirty,
> much like the fluid that came from the calipers, in spite of the fact
> that that car is 14 years old and has 150k miles.

I suppose it could depend on the particulars of each individual system, plus the
actual amount of use for each vehicle (miles, braking periods between flushes,
weight/forces during braking, etc.).

My BMW typically yields slightly slightly brown fluids when flushed.  My GM truck,
on the other hand, usually yields much darker fluid (even though I use the exact same
fluid at refill, with the exact same flush intervals).

Later,
Norm

> --
>   John Bolhuis    | These are no ordinary monkeys --
>  bolhuijo         | these are mean, spiteful, butt-biting
>   @domain.elided   | monkeys with an obvious mission: conquest.
>                                         -tabloid.net

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***