<misc>REPLY-Upgrading Wheels

John wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a set of 6 point "star spoke" BMW wheels.
These are factory style 10 or style I in the Bavarian Autosport catalog.
They fit 3 series 92 on and Z3's. What were they original equipment on? I
was told they were off a 94, but not sure what model. I currently have the
stock wheels on my 92 325i 4dr (style H) and just want something a little
more original. Don't really feel 16" or 17" are necessary since I do a lot
of city driving and I don't want to kill ride quality too much or damage any
expensive wheels. (I don't swap in the winter, tires are cheaper, etc)
Thanks,
John
1990 750iL
1992 325iA
BMW CCA

Sounds like you are trying to improve, albeit slightly, the overall look of
your car, which is probably the reason most people upgrade wheels.  IF this
is the case, you should _really_ consider going up in size, at least to a 16
inch rim.  If you pick an attractive wheel, and make sure its the proper
size/offset, bigger looks better.  More rim, less tire, slightly more
aggressive look, better handling due to shorter tire sidewall/less sidewall
flex.  I assure you that you can go to a 16 inch rim/tire combo with almost
zero ride degradation, and there are plenty of comfortable all-season
performance tires priced reasonably in 16 inch diameter.  If you really want
to be conservative, go with a 205-55 16 inch tire as opposed to a 225-50 16
inch tire.  Less width means less transmission of ruts/bumps/road
imperfections to your interior.  All factors being equal, also means better
wet traction as there is less of a tire surface to hydroplane.
  I went to a 16 inch aftermarket rim/tire combo a year or so ago, primarily
because I had heard that to maintain factory handling characteristics, you
also need to upgrade the suspension to M3 levels if you go to a 17 inch rim.
Didnt want to go to that level at that time.  I also went with a 205-55-16
tire, to try to avoid some of the bent-rim horror stories I hear about.
(footnote..if you ever venture to the DC area during winter..or anytime of
the year for that matter, avoid 295 at all costs).  Even after hitting a
couple of severe potholes, no dents, no bends in the rims.  I rarely
traverse the bad roads anymore, so my next setup will probably be 225-50 16
series tires.
   Good luck, but do consider bigger.  You'll be pissed if you put on the
same size wheels only to be dissatisfied.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD