<E24><E28><E30><E36) Re: rear anti-roll bar disconnected

John Bolhuis asks about his E28 rear sway bar:
>Not that anyone really noticed until the wheel was taken off, but the
>bar that connects the rear suspension assembly to the anti roll bar
>had slipped its bushing right off the bar.  We slipped it back on, but
>as far as I can see, nothing in particular is there to keep it from
>happening again.  Any advice?  The loss of rear anti-rolling was not
>as worrisome as the fact that the bar can come into contact with the
>CV joint boot when it's disconnected (although not during the usual
>range of suspension movement). Over time, it could damage the boot.

Yes, when the rubber bushings in the rear sway bar links (dog bones)
deteriorate, they can pop off the end of the sway bar and damage
the CV boot.

The easiest solution is to buy the two new parts (one on each side):

    33 55 1 126 932  stabilizer link  (dog bone) $18.55 each

You also can drill small holes at the ends of the sway bar and install
cotter pins with washers to keep the sway bar links in place.

  Pete Read
  '88 M5
  Arlington, VA