Lousy gas mileage on a 95 740 - is this normal?

I have owned my 95 740i for only 2 months, and have been averaging only
11-12 miles per gallon in the city, and 13.4 overall city and highway
combined, using the 89 gas that's required for the car.  I don't get it...
I thought that the mileage would be alot higher, as the manual shows much
higher gas mileage.  Could my computer be off by that much?  Or is there
something else going wrong?  It does seem to require fill ups QUITE often!
Any other 740i owner out there experiencing the same atrocious mileage?

BTW, I first thought that the car was way to big for me, and thought the
seats to be totally unsupportive (compared to my old 91 M5!), but now have
"gotten with the program" and realize that I'm in a luxo-cruiser, not a
sports sedan, and am appreciating the car in a whole new way.  Driving to
Maine on Friday from Maryland and am looking forward to the long haul, and
the fact that I can stuff 2 sets of backpacks and gear in that monstrous
trunk!

Steve
1995 740 Aspen Silver 62K miles
1988 911 Carrera Venetian Blue 56K miles